Sunday 26 January 2014

Explore Art Journal page

Hello everyone and lovely to have you drop in, this is Astrid here with my latest project.
One of my New Year's resolutions was to do more journaling and so I thought I would share a journal page with you. But before I start by giving you a description, I want to say that this page was heavily influenced by some of the fabulous journal artists that can be found on the internet, particularly Roben Marie Smith, one of the artists behind the Documented Life Project that some of you may have heard about. Obviously I gave it my own twist...

These are the stamps and products I used:
Chickenwire Background
Calligraphic Mat 12
Leaves A5 by Katie Fox
Journaling words 3
Gesso
Distress Paints in Broken China,Salty Ocean, Peeled Paint, Ripe Persimmon, Aged Mahogany
Distress Inks in Peeled Paint and Walnut Stain, Mustard Seed
Archival Inks in Jet Black, Library Green and Cobalt, Potting Soil
Masks: Large Sequin Waste, Chevron
Dylusions: Dirty Martini
From My stash:
Faber Castell Gelato Brown
Faber Castell Big Brush Pen black and dark green
Sequin waste, old journal page, old book pages,scraps of card, gel medium matte, glue, pallet knife, make-up sponges, baby wipes

Alright, here is a quick step by step:
Cover your journal page with a coat of Gesso, using a pallet knife, when dry, colour with Distress Paints and spritz with water to let the colours run and marble, add a few spritzes of Dylusions to deepen the colour in places and blend with a baby wipe..
  Tear some strips of an old journal page and adhere to the sides to frame your page a bit. Then add further interest with the help of the large sequin waste stencil: Place the stencil on the page, dip your finger in gesso and dab through the stencil. Dry, then add colour with the help of some Archival Inks, sequin waste and make-up sponges.
Outline your circles with a big brush pen for more contrast.
Next add some torn strips of old book pages and blend them in with the help of some more paint.
Here is a close up:
Time for some background stamping, I used the chicken wire and a journaling stamp.

Right, now to get some focus to the page... I cut a heart shape out of an old scrap of card to create a home made stencil.
I held it down over my page and then added colour with Ripe Permisson and Aged Mahogany Distress Paints and then to tie it in with the circles on the other page, added some more sequin waste dots with  Archival ink. Some of the colour had leaked out from underneath the stencil, so I blended it into the background with a baby wipe and then outlined the heart shape with my Big Brush Pen.
This is what the whole double page now looked like:

Time for the final touches: I coloured some smooth white card with first green Distress Paint and then Peeled Paint and Mustard Seed Distress Inks. I then stamped one of the leaves of the Leaves set in Library Green Archival and cut them out.
I glued them onto the page  and then it was time to complete the page with some journaling and a sentiment stamp from the Journaling Words 3 set, which I had stamped on what was left of the torn up journal page I had used already for the edges of my page. I also cut some strips of that same page and added additional journaling as you can see from the pictures below. Finally I added a few more sequin waste dots in some of the spaces that appeared a bit empty still and some further stencilling along the bottom edges with the Chevron stencil and finished it all by going around the edges with my brown Gelato.


Well, there you have it, page complete.
Hope you like it and that perhaps I have inspired you to do your own journal pages. The Artistic Stamper has a large selection of journalin supplies!

Thank you so much for visiting today and see you next month!

28 comments:

massofhair said...

I am attempting the DLP via Robin-Marie's blog she is such an inspiration isn't she.

Beautiful pages Astrid & thank you for the step by step, helpful to a newbie journaller like me:-) xxx

Unknown said...

Just getting into journals myself. This blog is great with the step by step guide.

Candy C said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Astrid. Your technique on the pages is beautiful. Your choice of colors is also flawless. As always, your work is just amazing. Hugs, Candy

Sid said...

Two fantastic pages !!

Jenny Marples said...

Where to start! I love the layers of painting, inking, stamping and paper strips which make up the background. Then that heart, oh wow! And the trail of leaves/journalling bring a real sense of structure and storytelling to this spread. Loving your work with those gelatos too. Must have a bash some time. Jenny x

Helen said...

This is fabulous - I especially love the leaves - both the actual leaves and the way they trail across the pages, just fabulous!

rachel said...

stunning pages Astrid and thanks so much for doing the step by step - wonderful xx

Rita said...

Fabulous pages Astrid. I will need to give this a try and maybe get started on my journal. I love everything about those pages. Enjoy your Day. Hugs Rita xxx

Redanne said...

I think I am lost for words Astrid, the pages are gorgeous! The background is fabulous and I love how you did the trail of leaves and words (so true) and the heart really steals the show! Anne xx

krcmasterpiece said...

I love the flow you achieved with the leaves and journaling. Great technique.

froebelsternchen said...

an amazing spread Astrid - and fantastic to see the progress !
I love the colors and the way you made this awesome composition!

Makes my heart sing!

Margaret Mifsud said...

This is gorgeous Astrid, I can't stop looking!!! So much beautiful detail and the colours are amazing!!! Love the journaling too ... such beautiful words and so true!! Love this to bits!!! ox

Claire said...

wow how beautiful, gorgeous artwork Astrid
Claire xx

Marianne said...

Beautuful Art Journal pages!!
xxx Marianne

Jaya Raghuvanshi said...

OMG!! what a stunner! this is awesome..I love each page. You have inspired me so much .I'm definitely going to try out doing journal pages now...!!! :)

Corrie Herriman said...

Lovely pages !
Corrie x

Maryanne said...

Wow! This journal page is fantastic, Astrid!! Your background is so textural. I love the heart and the leaves are beautiful. The sentiment is perfect. Beautiful, as always!

Words and Pictures said...

So gorgeous, Astrid - adore the background with those amazing blended colours and text, and the glowing heart looks stunning - wonderful pages!
Alison xx

Krisha said...

Stunning work!

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Astrid
Great double page with wonderful movement and flow.
Smiles:)
Sue

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous page Astrid, the background is terrific.

Dorthe said...

Amazing pages, dear Astrid,
The chicken wire stancil looks great, and so does the leaves you created yourself, from scratch -what a fantastic add to your beautiful pages. Love the heart stencil and result, too.
Hugs,from Dorthe

May said...

Gorgeous pages Astrid... my word that heart is amazing...the texture & colours are brilliant... Loved the tutorial... Hugs May x x x

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

I didn't know you are such a great art journaler !!! your page is awesome !

Paper Profusion said...

Absolutely glorious colours Astrid - this is wonderful art. Thank-you for all the step x step details, you make it looks very easy (when it is not!). Nicola x

craftytrog said...

What a lovely quote! These are beautiful pages Astrid! xxx

Anonymous said...

You may have been inspired by Roben Marie Smith and her incredible talent but this is pure Astrid.
Wishes
Lynne

ScrappingBeauty said...

Gorgeous pages!